[MBT] Massive Battery of Tests Apr 25, 2017, 3:38 PM
zombie33 I will introduce you the MBT  : The massive battery of tests.

This is the second MBT of peasant (you can see results of the first one from 2013 here. Some voluntiers will play a high number of game with predefine decks in order to determine the best decks of the format and the good or bad match up of every decks. Everyone can participate to this MBT.

Phase 1  :
* Debate to define the main decklist of 5 archetypes of the format  :
Faeries, Wellspring, Affinity Atog, MBC Devotion, UB Thopter
* Playtests main deck with the 5 list define previously - every match at least 10 times OTP and OTD (200 games)

Phase 2  :
* Debate to define the main decklist of 5 other archetypes of the format  :
MGA, Burn, MWC, Arcane Tide, Gx Tron
* Playtests main deck with the 10 list define previously (700 games)

Phase 3  :
* Update some decklist or add some new deck to the MBT.
* Think about the best Sideboard for each decklist.

MBT - Google Doc

The google doc contain three sheet :
- Data (playtest)  : This is where every gamer will fill the google doc with results.
- MBT results  : Table of statistics and results
- Specific deck  : More informations related to a specific deck, this is where you can find the decklist used for each deck.

last page
zombie33 Apr 26, 2017, 3:01 PM

(good choice in general but not as much against these 4 decks...)

We must define the best decklist of each deck. Our goal is not to find the best list in this particular metagame of 5 decks.

- Faeries : I really like Logic Knot too, i'm fine with this changement
- Affinity : I disagree with this... In fact if i want to cut 1 card among prism/blast/star/thoughcast i will choose prism.
- MBC : I really like dead weight too, but Fume is really good too because it's a creature, it can block and it's always one devotion. Maybe a split 3/3 or 3/2 would be better.
- UB Thopter : Doom blade is a 1 slot and mono black are only 10% of the metagame. It's always good to have a strong anti-creature like doom blade in our toolbox. I want to keep this slot.

- About wellpsring i'm not sure about your change... You want to remove chromatic and add krark but chromatic is one of the best artifact to sacrifice in this deck.

GalacticPresident Apr 26, 2017, 3:39 PM

(good choice in general but not as much against these 4 decks...)

We must define the best decklist of each deck. Our goal is not to find the best list in this particular metagame of 5 decks.

Thank you for stating the obvious. I said I wanted to have the second Krark-Clan Shaman because it is the best choice despite not being good in this meta. I think you misunderstood.

-Affinity: The deck is very strong if it hits its mana but the number if times it loses to itself is when the mana doesn't line up. And I'm talking about the original decklist from CDF which had less mana requirements (no Foundry) and more fixing (+1 Prism, +1 Springleaf Drum). Your version does run Vault of Whispers which helps to cast Foundry if nothing else but it makes the deck even more susceptible to artifact hate. Prism provides long-term fixing (also for all the colored sideboard cards) and an artifact for Grid and Foundry.

-MBC: Fume Spitter is good, no question. But it doesn't line up against one of the more problematic matchups- Affinity Atog because it doesn't kill Atog. Wellspring is a really bad matchup too but that's difficult to change if you don't splash. Against Atog, MBC can do something, so I find it careless and wrong to not play easy answers.
As everybody knows, I prefer Br or Bw Devotion over MBD because I think they have better matchups overall. But if the majority prefers MBD, I'm ok with it.

- Victim of Night is also part of the toolbox and kills more creatures than Doom Blade. Having double black is not a big deal. We will cast Doom Blade a lot for BB anyway because the deck runs a lot more blue spells than black spells. Upside outweighs the downside here imo.

- As I said, one Krark activation usually wins you the game in the matchups where it is most important. Your sac outlet doesn't need to generate value. The maximum amount of fliers is important to apply pressure (Tron or combo for example) or block (Faeries). Star does some useful things but it is durdly, doesn't progress the board position and has less impact than the other cards I find.

zebigcoconut Apr 26, 2017, 5:45 PM About Wellspring, my precious (ofc):
There are 3 decklists in fact :
-Boros Grid : Thraben inspector better than Chromatic star
-Jeskaï Thopter : Chromatic star better than Thraben inspector
-Boros Rally Kuldotha (more aggro, like in Pauper) : imo the best version. I know it's not the version I played but it's the version with the best MU in my recent test, because it can beaten bad MU of the other versions, and can switch in control mode post-side vs aggro (shaman replace kuldotha)

pokerrio Apr 29, 2017, 10:23 AM Thopter's list is exactly mine (i love it). I can help because i've done a lot of tests with it.

1. Doom blade VS Victim of Night (VS Murder)
I've played the list with :
- 1 Doom Blade and 1 Victim of night
- 1 Doom Blade and 0 Victim of Night
- 0 Doom Blade and 1 Victim of Night
- None of them but with 1 Murder.

My conclusion is :
- Murder is good but sometimes out of tempo. The card can't be tutor.
- Doom Blade is easier to cast than Victim of Night and can kill the same targets. In fact, i will play Victim of Night over Doom blade only if Wild Mongrel is everywhere.

2. Going forward.
I've not tried it yet. But after the last tournament in St Maximin, i want to give a try to another Echoing Card.
Between Echoing Decay and Echoing Truth, il would play another Echoing Truth. Engineered Plague is now more played than 5 months ago.
The deck can play a Logic Knot. Delving (before sideboard) is not a huge problem.

About MBC : I prefer Dead Weight over Fume Spitter without Victimize.

zombie33 Apr 29, 2017, 11:46 AM So new version of MBC

MBC

2 Fume Spitter
2 Cuombajj Witches
4 Chittering Rats
2 Phyrexian Rager
1 Crypt Rats
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
2 Twisted Abomination
4 Hymn to Tourach
3 Sign in Blood
1 Oubliette
4 Dead Weight
1 Victim of Night
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Tendrils of Corruption
2 Engineered Plague
1 Shriekmaw
1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Beseech the Queen
21 Swamp
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Mortuary Mire

Faeries

4 Cloudfin Raptor
4 Faerie Miscreant
4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
4 Spellstutter Sprite
2 Spire Golem
4 Favorable Winds
2 Gush
4 Counterspell
1 Logic Knot
3 Daze
2 Brainstorm
2 Snap
1 Spell Pierce
1 Spell Snare
18 Island
4 Preordain

zombie33 Apr 29, 2017, 11:59 AM I'm quite agree with the change proposed by galactic for wellspring :

-4 Stars
-1 Relic
-2 Radiant Fountain
+2 Basics
+1 Thraben Inspector
+1 Krark-Clan
+2 Glint Hawk
+1 Angelic Purge

But what the other think about that ?

About thopter, i don't know, i'm agree for

- Doom blade : can be more easily cast turn 2, and this can be usefull against some very aggressive decks (infect, red assault...)
- Victim of Night : The two black mana are not a big deal but it's a spell you will not cast before turn 3 or 4. In fact target of victim and blade are quite the same
- Murder : Can kill anything but can't be tutorise.

A one slot who can't be tutorise is almost useless i think.

So i vote for doom blade anyway
victim > doom blade but

We will start the test the 1 May.

Manudesbois Apr 29, 2017, 12:15 PM I'd play at least 1 grasp of darkness in MBC, since it kills big creatures without contraints (kills gray merchant, gurmag angler with help, myr enforcer, mnemonic wall), any creature in aggro decks and is fast enough to cast.
4 dead weights seems a lot to me. Very good against atog, aggro, and infect. Not so good against x/4's. I think a balance needs to be found.

I'd also play more bojuka bogs MD.

Shriekmaw as uncommon looks okay, not sure it's the best (1 more skeletal scrying, vampire nighthawk, or aetherborn seem playable too).

The overall list looks good anyway, it's just a few tweaks, and there is no perfect list.

zombie33 Apr 29, 2017, 12:18 PM I really like to play two skeletal scrying... Furthermore they are no gurmag angler in this list.

Manudesbois Apr 29, 2017, 12:41 PM Dead weight : why I don't like it so much : I see a lot of kor skyfishers currently (wellspring), and a few other bounces (faeries)/astral slides, so you sometimes end up using two cards to deal with a x/3 or x/4. Maybe 2 dead weights + 2 spitters seems a good deal, and the rest with more efficient removals. 1 tragic slip seems necessary too by the way.

Skeletal scrying : yes, 2 is not too much when you don't have too many other draw spells, or too many spells using the graveyard.

pokerrio Apr 29, 2017, 12:51 PM Even if Murder can't be tutorise, the deck can dig the library to find with consistency.
I think, Thopter is OK.