dumb question about league Dec 7, 2017, 10:26 PM
Strepsil67 question stupid: I saw that there was a ranking of the league over a calendar year. How do you get points? and especially how much depending on the results.
thank you

last page
Manudesbois Dec 12, 2017, 5:06 PM

1. I agree with Galactic President, there should be only ONE league. There is no point in splitting the community.

+1

2. Personally I prefer 8-Men tournaments when I don't know how much time I have to play in a month. You simply have at least 2-3 weeks to finish 3 games max. That's way easier to accomplish than to play a lot of matchups in a shorter period of time (especially against players that are online mainly throughout the day, but not in the evening).

+1

3. I thought about a rating based on win percentages, which is also bad because it incentivises players to only play Tier-1-Decks.

yes and it also encourages to stop playing when you have a good rate (just like the old wizards rating system where players stopped playing in order not to lose points, and to get free byes/invitations)

I think the current system is good enough. Maybe rewarding better the tournaments which require more time would be good, because otherwise people can spam 8-men tournaments in order to be more time-efficient, instead of taking part in pool tournaments.

zombie33 Dec 12, 2017, 8:41 PM The truth is, nothing will change on this website, or he will takes a lot of times... Max2070 will never be as reactive as he was.

GalacticPresident Dec 12, 2017, 8:54 PM Ok, so in order to have an easy solution which satisfies our goal to make 8men a little less worth, we could just ask Max to change the formula to the one I suggested. It is a small change but one that we agree on and it is the easiest for Max to implement. Yes, no, maybe?

zombie33 Dec 12, 2017, 8:58 PM your suggestion is good i think but as arbitrary as the previous one.
Why power 2/3 ? Why can we choose power 0.6 or 0.7 instead ?
If you want to reach a specific optimisation we can find the right number for that. What are you searching exactly ?

GalacticPresident Dec 12, 2017, 10:43 PM I wanted to increase the slope in order to devalue the 8men. Not more not less
You can choose power 0,6 or 0,7 too, it changes very little. Why was it power 1/2 before?

zombie33 Dec 12, 2017, 11:01 PM When we create the formula we start a linear formula at first but we didn't like it.
So we decide to change it with a different curve and we didn't search a complex function. We just made a choice between the square root and the logarithm (who is proportional to the number of round in the tournament).

Vlalutscher Dec 14, 2017, 2:01 PM

1. I agree with Galactic President, there should be only ONE league. There is no point in splitting the community.

I totally agree too.

2. Personally I prefer 8-Men tournaments when I don't know how much time I have to play in a month. You simply have at least 2-3 weeks to finish 3 games max. That's way easier to accomplish than to play a lot of matchups in a shorter period of time (especially against players that are online mainly throughout the day, but not in the evening).

Same goes for me.

[quote[I think the current system is good enough. Maybe rewarding better the tournaments which require more time would be good, because otherwise people can spam 8-men tournaments in order to be more time-efficient, instead of taking part in pool tournaments.[/quote]

I also think 8-men should get way less points in relation to pool or 16-men tournaments. Are static points really this hard to include regarding MAX2070 activity? If yes, maybe we should try more calculations (I mean 0.6,0.7 and so) first before deciding definitely.

Regarding 16-men. Something should be changed. Nearly noone is interessted in them. Maybe it was wrong to make single elimination. If there is one per month at maximum we could add the loser bracket again. So usually or in swiss rounds it doesn't matter if you have a loss in first round or in last, if both scores are 3-1 (not regarding the opp-score of course), but with single elimination you don't get the chance to win the rest. I suggest thhis, because I believe that only few players would not play their matches, who join 16-men. And the problem with unplayed matches are real in the other tournaments too.

Max2070 Dec 19, 2017, 3:25 PM hey guys, didn't read it, but you can ask me for ranking and formula for test. I'll paste the output here. If you are all agree on a new formula, I can change it for the league. But Don't be sad if I randomly add a x4 for the beauty of the number ...