[Online] 2017 Peasant Masters : brainstorm Nov 6, 2017, 11:56 AM
Manudesbois Hi people,

Last year, we held a tournament that I liked very much, which gathered the top 8 players of the annual league. I think it was a success except a few points which I'd like to improve, so this topic is here to discuss this.

2016 brainstorm topic :
https://mtg-peasant.com/forum/topic/94/
2016 tournament topic :
https://mtg-peasant.com/forum/topic/118/

Here are the rules I would like to keep :
- Allow spectators, but do not allow them to see hands or to chat
- Free choice of deck, give hash as usual
- One full month to finish (in order not to disturb the other tourneys and to deal with unavailabilities)

Phase 1 : 2 pools of 4 players. the pools are meant to be balanced, and at the same time to give easier pairings to people with higher rankings in the league.
- 1st, 4th, 5th and 8th play together, and 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th.
- 1 hour per game + 5 additional turns, donâ??t slow play
- best of 3 (=>2 games won give you the win)
- The best two players qualify for phase 2
- Who starts is decided by the toss
- Tie breakers : 1) games won - games lost 2) games won (counting only games between tied players) - games lost (counting only games between tied players) 3) in case there is a perfect tie between players (ex: A1 2-0 A2, A2 2-0 A3, A3 2-0 A1, and all three win 2-0 vs A4), I would like the organizer to decide what to do. I think the quicker is the best, so 1 additional game with sideboard between tied players, until there is no tie.

Phase 2 : Semi-finals and finals (and optional 3rd place match)
- No draw, so unlimited time but donâ??t abuse
- the toss decides who chooses to play first or not (regardless of the "free game wins" explained below)

From what I remember of 2016's edition, I would like to add the following rules:
1/ If any one player desires not to play the 5 games in a row (because it can be quite long), they can say it at the end of the 3rd game or at the end of the 4th, and the rest of the games will be postponed

2/ Last year, semi-finals were played in "best of 3 (=>2 games won give you the win)", I would like it to be best of 5 now, to add some interest to semi-finals. G1 and G2 played without sideboard, and the following games with sideboard.

3/ Same rule as last year (which was decided maybe too late at the time) : Game 1 AND game 2 without sideboard. Game 3, 4, and 5 with sideboard.

4/ Last year, GalacticPresident and m3m3p4sm4l won the 3 matches of their respective pools but got no advantage with it. Zombie33 (I think) suggested that only them should qualify in this case, and not the 2nd of the pools (with only one win out of 3). We could not add this new rule in the middle of the tournament so we decided to go with the rules we had fixed and qualify the 2nd of each pool anyways.
This time I would like to change that rule, so that players finishing the pools with 3 wins benefit from it.
*Let's say player A1 wins pool A with 3 wins, and players B1 and B2 come out of pool B with only two wins. We would love to have A1 advantaged over A2 (player behind him in pool A).
*Qualifying only A1 in pool A, and B1 and B2 in pool B to form a "final triangle" is not right, because A1 does not get any benefit from it (on the contrary, it could be easier for him to have A2 qualified, in order to have a chance to meet him again in a final, in a matchup where he is favorite).
*Qualifying A1 directly to a final without a semi-final is not good either, because B1 and B2 would have to play together in a semi-final match they have already played.
*Qualifying A1 directly to a final without a semi-final is not good either, because having A1 advantaged over B1 and B2 is not right : we can't affirm that 3 wins in pool A is any better than 2 wins in pool B
=> I come to the following conclusion :
4.1/qualify A1, A2, B1, and B2. Semi-finals: A1 meets B2, B1 meets A2.
4.2/Final : If A1 had to face A2 again, A1 would start with a 1-0 score (free game win), then play game 2 without sideboard, and games 3, 4, 5 with sideboard.
4.3a/If A1 and B1 both have 3 wins in their pools, I don't want to skip the semi-finals, but having them both advantaged in the semi-finals seems great, so same rule : A1 would start with a 1-0 score the semi-final against B2, and B1 1-0 against A2.
4.3b/Now I would like this rule to be more general : not only 3 wins in the pool gives you the advantage, but just having more points than the second of the pool

5/ I want to manage this tournament, but if I take part in it (there's still hope ), I would love to have someone outside the tournament decide for tie-breakers "3)" of Phase 1

6/ This tournament is 100% for fun and to promote the format, there's nothing to gain from it except respect from others, so don't complain about the rulings we make as organizers if some are litigious, we are just trying our best to keep it fair (and just in case, if I had to play it, which I think is becomes very unlikely, trust me I won't advantage myself, but ask some other person to judge : person of point 5, or zombie33, or GalacticPresident or Toufmade first if they agree, even though they are also in the tournament)

7/ I will ask for all decklists at the end of the tournament. If there is any issue with any list, I count on changing the results of the tournament in consequence (example : hash code of the winner does not correspond to the given decklist, so there is no way to check the deck is legal). That's just to be more rigorous in order to prevent stupid mistakes to happen and ruin the tournament.

What do you guys think of this? Please quote the numbers of the rules so we can understand equally what you answer

last page
zombie33 Nov 8, 2017, 11:16 AM Each time you have your list on mtg peasant, you earn point. It's calculated with your rank and the number of players in the tournament with a complicate formula i didn't remember

zeroxceet Nov 8, 2017, 12:39 PM Swiss+semis+final= yes for me

Quarters+semis+final= no for me

and advantage : first of each pool or 2 first in case of swiss win th toss of semi

Manudesbois Nov 8, 2017, 1:10 PM Pools+semis+final= Galactic OK, zombie OK, Bri OK?, zerox Yes

Swiss+semis+final= Galactic No, zombie Yes, Bri Yes, zerox Yes

Quarters+semis+final= Galactic Yes, zombie No, Bri OK?, zerox No

@Galactic: after finishing round 1, you have to wait for others finishing round 1 before an opponent for round 2 can be randomly attributed to you. Same for round 3. You don't have that with the pool system, which means you don't wait as much.

Vlalutscher Nov 9, 2017, 12:48 PM

Swiss+semis+final= yes for me

and advantage : first of each pool or 2 first in case of swiss win th toss of semi

Same goes for me! I wanted to suggest the same for advantage.

I'm would be fine with pool too, but I would prefer Swiss all the time.
I also know the disadvantages of Swiss, but for one tourney with only 8 reliable players, it should work, shouldn't it?

Toufmade Nov 9, 2017, 5:27 PM Pools+semis+final= Galactic OK, zombie OK, Bri OK?, zerox Yes, Toufmade Ok
Swiss+semis+final= Galactic No, zombie Yes, Bri Yes, zerox Yes, Toufmade : no
Quarters+semis+final= Galactic Yes, zombie No, Bri OK?, zerox, Toufmade : Ok

Kiss

Bri Nov 9, 2017, 11:14 PM Nov 9, 2017, 12:48 PM
Swiss+semis+final= yes for me

Same goes for me! I wanted to suggest the same for advantage.

I'm would be fine with pool too, but I would prefer Swiss all the time.

Same for me!

Manudesbois Nov 17, 2017, 11:24 PM Pools+semis+final= Galactic OK, zombie OK, Bri Yes, zerox Yes, Vlalu Yes, Touf OK

Swiss+semis+final= Galactic No, zombie Yes, Bri Yes, zerox Yes, Vlalu Yes, Touf No

Quarters+semis+final= Galactic Yes, zombie No, Bri No, zerox No, Vlalu No, Touf OK

=> So I think it's clear: pools are the only option with only Yes's, even though it's not always the favorite of each one. Thanks for the answers, so we'll do that, and give the toss to the 1st of each pool. If tie breakers are not enough to say who's first, they roll a die as usual.

Manudesbois Dec 11, 2017, 6:50 PM Hey players! In order to start the tournament as soon as possible, I will ask in advance every player above 100 points to confirm if they want to take part IN CASE they make it to the top 8. You can post here or message me.

The top 8 players will be picked at the end of december tournaments among those who answered.

Good luck overtaking(?) willow ;D

The games will be held over january.

zombie33 Dec 11, 2017, 8:26 PM I'm in (IN CASE i make it to the top 8)

GalacticPresident Dec 11, 2017, 8:50 PM In!