League Play-Offs Jul 21, 2016, 1:51 PM
sister_morphine Since I enjoy playing the weekly online-Tourneys very much, I would like to make a suggestion which aims at prolonging the fun: The idea is to use the 'league'-ranking to create a final Play-Offs-Tourney at the end of the year. The Top8 (or Top16?) of the current year could play quarterfinals against each other and so on - until in the end there would be a "Champion 2016". Every participant could simply pick the deck he played and/or liked most this season.

Advantages:
- Always fun playing against highly skilled players or even watching highly skilled players playing against each other.
- Seeing the most successful decks of a season once again is great, too.
- Entertainement for the wintertime

Disadvantages:
- Somehow exclusive, and I don't like exclusiveness
- Unnecessairy since the ranking provides a champion of the year already

So, what do y'all think?

last page
sister_morphine Nov 16, 2016, 9:28 AM So, since winter already came and the end of the year is comming quickly, too, I would like to warm up my idea of a 'final Play-Off'-Tourney mentioned above. It found some support in the first place. So maybe it's worth a shot?

@ our beloved tourney-orga: Would u support this idea, too and, if so, would u be so kind to make the arrangements?

Manudesbois Dec 24, 2016, 10:53 AM I think everyone should play the deck of his choice though, not necessarily the one with which he played before (some lists can be outdated).

B4L4 Jan 7, 2017, 1:05 PM Is the "2016 final league" going to happen ?

Manudesbois Jan 7, 2017, 2:39 PM Since we have no answers from the people concerned. I guess not unless someone defines the rules and invites the people for it
If you want I can take care of organizing it. However, I think allowing spectators would make it much more interesting.

sister_morphine Jan 8, 2017, 8:42 AM @Manu: That would be great! And as long as spectators cannot see the hands of the players, opening the matches for spectators never was a real problem, right?

If we play a Top8-playoffs one could create a google-sheet where all concerned players who are interested could inscribe until a certain date. If players are missing after that, one could give another period to fill up the missing slots from Top16. And then it would work like the new 8men-Tourneys, right? K.O.-rounds till we have a champion.

One thing: It has to be clear wether old or new bannings count. Old E2-bannings seem much more reasonable to me.

Manudesbois Jan 8, 2017, 10:55 AM

And as long as spectators cannot see the hands of the players, opening the matches for spectators never was a real problem, right?

Well it can be a problem for some, if they do not want to have their decks revealed to the next opponents.

If we play a Top8-playoffs one could create a google-sheet where all concerned players who are interested could inscribe until a certain date. If players are missing after that, one could give another period to fill up the missing slots from Top16. And then it would work like the new 8men-Tourneys, right? K.O.-rounds till we have a champion.

I was planning to give quite a lot of time for people to play since they may already be enrolled in other tourneys or may not have much time to themselves : so like until the end of the month to play the matches seems very reasonable to me.

One thing: It has to be clear wether old or new bannings count. Old E2-bannings seem much more reasonable to me.

No, to me there should not be tournaments with the old bans anymore. Furthermore this makes the competition more interesting because the choice of a deck is not trivial in this "unknown" field.

sister_morphine Jan 8, 2017, 11:23 AM Fairest thing would be the 'official event'-solution: players get to know their decklists before they start playing. But I think this is too complicated to organize.

Starting february would be fine, I think. A little late, but enough time to subscribe in the forefield and everybody will be able to plan with the other february-tourneys.

Since it is the 'best of 2016'-tourney it seemed more 2016ish to me to play with the old bannings. But your point is quite convincing, too. Either way is fine for me.

Manudesbois Jan 8, 2017, 11:43 AM

Fairest thing would be the 'official event'-solution: players get to know their decklists before they start playing. But I think this is too complicated to organize.

Yeah I don't like it, but I think it's not so important anyways.

Starting february would be fine, I think. A little late, but enough time to subscribe in the forefield and everybody will be able to plan with the other february-tourneys.

I'll see how we'll manage, but I think a single-elimination tourney would not bother too much the proceedings of the other ongoing tourneys.

Since it is the 'best of 2016'-tourney it seemed more 2016ish to me to play with the old bannings. But your point is quite convincing, too. Either way is fine for me.

Yep I get your point

Manudesbois Jan 8, 2017, 12:35 PM Here is what I came with for the details :
- Allow spectators, but do not allow them to see hands or to chat
- Play with the new banlist
- Aether revolt allowed
- Free choice of deck, give hash as usual
- One full month to finish (in order not to disturb the other tourneys and to deal with unavailabilities)
Phase 1 : the pools are meant to be balanced, and at the same time to give easier pairings to people with higher rankings in the league.
- 1st, 4th, 5th and 8th play together, and 2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th.
- 1 hour per game, donâ??t slow play
- The winner of each pool accesses to phase 2
Phase 2 :
- No draw, so unlimited time but donâ??t abuse