League Play-Offs Jul 21, 2016, 1:51 PM
sister_morphine Since I enjoy playing the weekly online-Tourneys very much, I would like to make a suggestion which aims at prolonging the fun: The idea is to use the 'league'-ranking to create a final Play-Offs-Tourney at the end of the year. The Top8 (or Top16?) of the current year could play quarterfinals against each other and so on - until in the end there would be a "Champion 2016". Every participant could simply pick the deck he played and/or liked most this season.

Advantages:
- Always fun playing against highly skilled players or even watching highly skilled players playing against each other.
- Seeing the most successful decks of a season once again is great, too.
- Entertainement for the wintertime

Disadvantages:
- Somehow exclusive, and I don't like exclusiveness
- Unnecessairy since the ranking provides a champion of the year already

So, what do y'all think?

last page
Vlalutscher Jul 21, 2016, 5:30 PM I like the idea very much. As far as I know, the league does not evaluate, does it? I mean, dioes the winner of a tourney with few people get few points? And the more tourneys you play, the chance to reach a rewarded rank is of course higher. But the latter is hard to adjust, since players are aloud to switch decks every tourney.
In conclusion playing a tourney of the Top16 may still be "fair" to find another champion. So you have league champion and champion of the year or something like that.
It could also be possible to just make a tourney with all the winners of an online tourney. Still exclusive, but just another idea. This would be the champion of champions. At least you can think of such an idea.

Manudesbois Jul 22, 2016, 7:40 AM

I mean, dioes the winner of a tourney with few people get few points?

Yes, the less people there are, the less points you get.

And the more tourneys you play, the chance to reach a rewarded rank is of course higher.

Yes, but this encourages people to play more tournaments, that is not shocking.

I like the idea of a top8 or top16, but not sure I would restrict the deck choices. Furthermore some of the players won't be able to play, so maybe let's say top8 and then if some cannot make it in, we ask 9th and 10th until we have 8 players.

Vlalutscher Jul 22, 2016, 11:09 AM

Yes, but this encourages people to play more tournaments, that is not shocking.

Ok, good to know. Thanks. It's not shocking of course. Why should it be? Was just wondering about it.

I like the idea of a top8 or top16, but not sure I would restrict the deck choices. Furthermore some of the players won't be able to play, so maybe let's say top8 and then if some cannot make it in, we ask 9th and 10th until we have 8 players.

Same thoughts here. So I like this statement.

sister_morphine Jul 22, 2016, 1:14 PM @Vlalutscher:

It could also be possible to just make a tourney with all the winners of an online tourney. Still exclusive, but just another idea.

Since the recent decision to play swiss-rounds we play a huge amount of small tourneys. I think inviting all the tourney-winners to the play-offs might (1) be to much players and (2) does not reward players who won more than one tourney and (3) does punish players who consistently made Top3 but never won a tourney

@manudebois:

not sure I would restrict the deck choices

Me neither, but it seems awkward to have a 'best of the year'-tourney w.o. the defining dekcs of that year, doesn't it?

we ask 9th and 10th until we have 8 players

Totally agreed!

B4L4 Jul 28, 2016, 4:02 PM A "season champion" & an "invitational champion", i like it ;-)

Maybe inviting winners of 3 stars tournaments (both online & irl) could be an option too (since they are very few 3 stars tournaments anyway).

Regarding decks selection, it could be fun to make the 8 players vote to create a pool of the best current 8 decks. Then each round assigns a deck to each player randomly (don't do this in a swiss format tournament). This way the winner would be the overall most robust peasant player :-D

sister_morphine Aug 2, 2016, 9:22 AM @B4L4: Since there are indeed very few three star tourneys I would consider thatoption to be a bit unbalanced. And since the league-ranking takes the amount of participants of a tourney into account it seems fairer to me to use the ranking for the invites.
The 'randomly' chosen deck-idea sounds like fun. I personally would feel a little uncomfy though b'cos I don't like piloting a deck I don't know very well. I have for instance very little experience with thoptersword and therefor would not want to play it.

Manudesbois Aug 2, 2016, 10:59 AM

The 'randomly' chosen deck-idea sounds like fun. I personally would feel a little uncomfy though b'cos I don't like piloting a deck I don't know very well. I have for instance very little experience with thoptersword and therefor would not want to play it.

Same here, except it doesn't sound like fun at all ;D

stopostit Aug 2, 2016, 1:22 PM Really ? Why does no one wants to play arcane tide at blind ? I don't get it ahah

B4L4 Aug 2, 2016, 3:20 PM If the 8 players vote to create the 8 decks pool, i don't see how Arcane Tide would end up in the pool (Each player get something like 3-5 votes in my mind). This deck doesn't represent the meta at all & almost no one plays it.

MBD, Ghostly Devo, Affi Control, Wellspring, Elves, Red Assault, Faeries, Infect, Familiar, Tortured Existence, Thopter, Tutelage, Reanimator, all RDW flavors, etc... a lot of possible decks which represent the diversity among the peasant format & players.

stopostit Aug 2, 2016, 10:05 PM what about a draft from a peasant cube ? Would be fun !