[Deck] Familiar Dec 20, 2015, 11:00 PM
Max2070 Again a tournament where I take Familiar with no expectations, again a surprising 0 defeat with the deck.

========== Tournoi du 03/10/15 =========

first pool :

2-0 BUWG enchant
2-1 UR Pyromancer
2-1 ???
(je concède la dernière sans la jouer pour gagner du temps.)

final pool :

2-1 Naya domain
1-1 Affinity Control
2-1 Ghostly Devo + Fami + Cloud
2-0 U infect
2-0 MGA

========== Tournoi du 03/10/15 =========

first pool :

2-0 affy
2-0 TE
2-0 TE
2-1 ugr Tron
(pas les pires MUs ...)

final pool :

2-0 RDW
2-0 Red assault (+ pyromancer)
2-1 UR kiln
2-1 boroscraft
2-0 UB Thopter
(quasi que de l'aggro ce coup-ci)

Overall score : 16 wins, 1 draw, 0 loose

I'm still convainced this deck is not too strong and can loose against a lot of decks, but in order to win against, the first thing to do is build his deck and his side with familiar in mind because the deck take place in strongs ones.

the following list is the one I played on the second tournament :

4 Azorius Chancery
3 Dimir Aqueduct
6 Island
2 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Plains
1 Swamp
2 Dismal Backwater
1 Tranquil Cove

2 Mnemonic Wall
4 Cloud of Faeries
4 Nightscape Familiar
3 Sunscape Familiar
2 Ghostly Flicker
4 Snap
2 Deep Analysis
3 Compulsive Research
1 Mental Misstep
4 Mulldrifter
3 Demonic Tutor
4 Preordain
1 Capsize
3 Lone Missionary
1 Spell Snare

SB: 3 Standard Bearer
SB: 2 Arashin Cleric
SB: 2 Oblivion Ring
SB: 3 Disenchant
SB: 4 Circle of Protection: Red
SB: 1 Leave No Trace

I'm open to suggestions or remarks

last page
Manudesbois Jan 13, 2016, 9:37 PM

they have enough removal to kill all your creatures and wait until you deck. How do you plan to win?

how in the world would burn have enough removal when making no CA? Also flicker and snap prevent the creatures from dying. And REB also takes BEB or Misstep in real life

Max2070 Jan 14, 2016, 9:10 PM Question :

Against burn, if they counter your walls with REB, they have enough removal to kill all your creatures and wait until you deck. How do you plan to win?
You have a lot of experience with the deck, is there a plan for these situations?

if burn put all his ressource in destroying my creatures he will never win, morevover in a situation like that you can consider ghostly + snap as creatures. And familiar will be able to to extra draw every turn and play several creatures + protecion each turn. This game plan for burn is clearly bad. the best option is to put all damage in the familiar player while keeping backup to fizzle the combo

Question 2 :

How exactly is Familiars supposed to win through combat damage? I can't imgagine that! The deck runs at most 8 2power attackers and 13 1power attackers without any kind of removal (ok 2 O-ring).
Against Faeries if the opponent plays 1 Spire Golem or buffed Cloudfin Raptor (2/3), I can't imagine how you're supposed to deal 20 or more damage. They only have to counter walls and capsize. Say the blue deck doesn't even attack, how do you win?

as I said the MU is really tight and I didn't test it very much, but winning with void is what familiar does the best. simple case turn 3 (dual land on board) => familiar + snap on opponant creature + deep. In this turn I temporise my opponent by bouncing his creatures, I do CA on my opponent, I play familiar which will give more and more advance in the game. A golem won't change that kind of advance.

take a middle game situation you have your great golem and some 1/1 fly, I have blockers with mulldrifter, I can found another one, I can bounce your game in order to get tempo, I can play son lone to give me breath I can ghostly mull + lone which will give buy much more time and doing all that stuff while keeping drawing. I will take the board by CA and tempo, while your ressources will be exhausted.

that is the theory part.

In practical part, 50% of time, faerie will be able to be more aggressive or to be able to temporise my deck too much by countering all my spell, it's why it greatly depends of the beginning hand+draw of each player and why the MU could be really tight.

GalacticPresident Jan 14, 2016, 11:00 PM As far as burn is concerned, I get your point. With this much card advantage, the defense burn plan won't work out.
Regarding the Faeries MU I will have to test it myself. I'll tell you what I can find out