[Spoiler] Ash Barrens Oct 30, 2016, 4:14 PM
GalacticPresident The new Commander 2016 set includes exactly one common and it is a very exciting one! Ash Barrens offers a new of fixing for theoretically any deck.

Ash Barrens
Land
T: Add â?? to your mana pool.

Basic landcycling 1 (1, discard this card: Search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.)

The obvious comparison is Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse. While the fetchlands search for a tapped land, Ash Barrens costs 1 to search for an "untapped" land. So in most cases, they will be very similar and both cause a tapped land in order to fix 1 color. With the fetches the new land is tapped while with Ash Barrens a land that was already in play was tapped. Just to provide some examples, if you want to go T1 Preordain into T2 Flame Slash the new Ash Barrens is better, if you want to go T1 Kird Ape into T2 Kird Ape + search for Forest, fetches are better. These situations provide themselves during gameplay and can come up both ways, so let's look for more obvious (dis-)advantages of Ash Barrens compared to fetchlands.
- Very bad if only land in starting hand (which is really bad in a multicolor deck anyway...)
- No landfall
- Worse against LD
- No sacrifice trigger for Bloodbriar

+ Can be an untapped mana source!
+ Hold up mana for instants and cycle during opponent's end step
+ Cycling matters: Astral Slide!
+ Possible to topdeck into missing color

~ Both end up in GY for shenanigans

After all I think Ash Barrens will see a lot of play. In any multicolor deck that doesn't have heavy color requirements and can make use of a colorless source Ash Barrens is better than the fetchlands. Being able to come into play as an untapped manasource is the most relevant advantage of Ash Barrens because it will come up most often. Other deck will choose it over the fetchlands as well or play a mix and Astral Slide will get a lot better too!

What do you guys think?

last page
Lorebroker Oct 30, 2016, 10:09 PM I fell in love the moment I saw it.

The ability to play this early, return it with a bounce land later and then cycling it to find a fresh colored untapped source should also be mentioned.

Bri Oct 30, 2016, 11:55 PM yup, looks awesome!

Bri Oct 31, 2016, 12:11 AM but it's a little more unflexible with cards like brainstorm.

GalacticPresident Oct 31, 2016, 2:34 PM Can of course be mentioned because you can return it with a Bounceland but I wouldn't call that a combo. Usually your mana is fixed when you play the bounceland at wich point bouncing a basic is just better.

It is a little more unflexible with Brainstorm because you need an additional land to cycle and shuffle the cards away. It won't make a difference too often though. The scenario would be that you play Brainstorm, put 2 unwanted cards back and don't have another open mana to cycle. Fetchland would let you shuffle while with Ash Barrens, you need to wait until your next upkeep. At the end you have 1 mana less missed 1 landdrop. The landdrop only matters if you topdeck another land immediately because it you had another one in your hand already, you could've played it the turn before. So just 1 mana less in that pretty specific case.

zombie33 Nov 2, 2016, 4:36 PM I really like the card. I don't like the fact we can found it only in commander pack.

sister_morphine Nov 3, 2016, 4:02 PM @zombie33: the notorious cocka-player shrugs his cold, market-destroying shoulders to the nontheless cold, supercapitalastic marketing-strategies of WotC.